Jan 3, 2010

Eye strain

If anyone is familiar with using the computer too long (Im sure you are, but its something I like to avoid) I can definitely say its not worth it for the extra few hours of modding in 1 day. It's been three days since I beat dragon age (all in 1 long day) and my left eye hurts so bad I can hardly sit down at a monitor for 10 minutes. Hope this stops soon or theres no way this project will finish.

I've got to thinking, and I don't see why combining ideas from two outdoor areas into one can't be done. I will get to use both ideas I wanted, and not have undue extra work. By my estimate the 9 days I have left will accomodate ONE large are from scrap not counting scripting and encounters. Since I have the area largely done, but none of the extra, it's time to finish this thing. Every time I think I am adding one little thing I want another and another so it stops here.


I got the reflective water to finally work (counter intuitive toolset settings nice isn't it?). I also yanked up the vertical on the mountains the way I really wanted it, so you can compare this to the pic in the previous post and see how much greater it is!





I am having a lot of trouble with the lake edges. I've cleaned it up quite a bit already but I am finding it impossible to find settings that will make a nice uniform rounded edge. I think I need to use a little large brushes than I had been, but there's still several around. I never could keep sharp edges from popping up in my exteriors which is why I have avoided them. I wonder what the magic trick is though.

And just for fun is a sneak preview image of the final area (yes I've decided its final, first it was then it wasnt, now reality has set in lol )

2 comments:

  1. Do I smell a soon to be released module?

    If you want smooth, natural edges around the lake one way is to use the flatten tool with brush size 0 and outer about 7-10. Set the hight to match the depth of the lake at the shore and the pressure to 5-10%. Then paint the shore carefully and you end up with a smooth beach to lake transition. After that you can use a walkmesh trigger and darker color create the impression of deeper water.

    You could use the same brush size = 0 trick and to create smooth hills and bumps on land. Just set the outer size to your liking and the height to what ever height you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good reflections. :)

    You did not make clear how you did it though?

    Last screenshot looks good as well.

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete