Feb 11, 2010

Tired of NWN2... really.

Be forewarned this is pretty much a flat out bitch, but I am also trying to get something fixed so you may want to skip to the end.

For the entire span of my NWN2 history I have always had to deal with annoying shit that shows me why I will never buy atari trash again. However, having already began many months (and upgraded hardware) to make a big campaign, Im stick with what I have till my project is at least out. But as a player Ive always had to deal with my character jerking all over the place in game to the point where it was unbearable. Then I figured out a spyware scan would reduce it, until it got bad again. Until...

... the 1.22 patch and beyond. Now the problem is 100% of the time, is unrelated to spyware and even persists on brand new computer installations, I'm talking 3 diff windows versions, xp to 7, different computers, desktop, laptop, a diff laptop. And its no longer spyware related. Some of you have experience the weird lag where you run halfway across an area and then warp back to the start. It seems to be interrelated and I get that too, but also, every single time I stop running my character jerks all over the damn place. Its a major piss off and the only reason I could tolerate it is because I mostly mod, o nly going in to test briefly.

But its so bad now I cant ignore it. I cant test my own work on a theif quest because the jerky movement makes my character run out of hiding on his own. Theres a big thread for others with the problem:
http://nwn2forums.bioware.com/forums/viewtopic.html?topic=699897&forum=116

A quick summary: we determined that a revert to v1.21 stops it. And I was doing that, until... I spent an entire saturday trying to figure out why my speak triggers are f*cked and then I tried the game on my laptop which is 1.23 and they work fine. So yet another day of my life wasted on what should be an instant task, and I have honestly lost track of how many times Ive done this one stupid script that atari left to the wind without telling anyone and I lost a day of life screwing with what should be automatic but I DIGRESS.

So what I am asking here if anyone can volunteer, do you have the problem or not, and either way, what is the main details of your comp, processor, vid card, windows version, DX? Thanks for any reports here.

In my own attempt to do more than my share to get this piece of shit working since obsidian obviously wont, I disabled virtually EVERY service and app and the bug still persists. There was even critical windows processes disabled!

To be honest as much as I hate further using this abomination, I have a lot invested in it and it finally has enough custom content that would make a great sequel. But with what I've seen even before this bug Im about ready to pack my bags for dragon age the second I release. I can't even give proper due to my fellow modders as this bug stops me from enjoying other mods, I tried Trinity recently. The only way I can get them to play smoothly is in v1.21 and with the random bugs it seems to cause i cant tell if its a legit bug to report or my fault for having an old version. But I'm really at my wits end with this shit and pretty much regret starting my campaign 2 years ago.

6 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I hear your stress.

    I have only ever experienced the kind of problems you have in two circumstances:

    1) If I am running the toolset in the background and my resources are low. PCs then stutter on the screen when I try to move until I close some apps down. Obvious solution, close the toolset before testing the game.

    2) And this is quite possibly your problem: When I have a script running that is causing CPU overload due to some bad scripting. Are you familiar with turing the game on in Debugmode?

    If you turn on debug mode and start to play, check in the feedback if you are getting any script overruns. Basically, sometimes when a heartbeat script runs, it can go awry and something does not go to plan. Eventually, the faulty script places too much pressure on the game and CPU until it starts to grind to a halt.

    I often test my game between heartbeat script changes to make sure I have not messed it up somehow. Basically, any script that runs on any heartbeat could be causing an issue.

    If it is none of this, then the last thought is a computer issue, either failing hardware or a poorly optimised system. One time I had a prolem similar to this, my graphics card failed a couple of weeks later.

    If you know anything about computers, check to make sure all your fans (on CPU and graphics especially) are not clogged and working fine. Overheating will also give you the same problems.

    Finally, a failing hard drive can cause problems with games that do a lot of disc caching.

    Last thought: Does the game still stutter when you play the official mod? If it does not, then the fault is in your own mod or the mod you are playing. If it does, then the problem is most likely computer hardware or software problem.

    Keep me updated.

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What you wont realize without reading the thread (which I wouldnt either, cause its long) is that its not a stutter issue and virtually everything has been thrown at it. The Issue is the character takes EXTRA steps after you stop. If you stop while walking right he does a 180 degree turn to the left. Sometimes he takes a step straigh back. It happens on brand new computers recently formatted and no drivers or any software going and it happens in all modules/campaigns/OC even with a brand new nwn2 install. The second you patch beyond 1.21 it kicks in. So my only hope is to isolate someones computer who doesnt have the issue and see what they have that I dont or do and they dont.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    I have seen something like you describe in your response happen once or twice, even in my own experience. After walking to a location, they would suddenly jump back and walk to the spot again. Most weird.

    That said, it does not happen enough to cause a problem to me ... yet. Maybe I don't play it as much as some of the ones in the thread or yourself?

    I will keep a close eye on it occurring again though and see if I can work out anything that may be causing it. (I was a computer engineer before I gave up work, and it was my job to help diagnose problems with computers, be they software or hardware.)

    Keep me updated if you hear anything, and I will do the same for you. :)

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. By the way, what happened to your cool paper background for the blog?

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one is better (maybe).

    The problem you are talking about is a delay/lag and everyone gets that now. We just seem to think (in the thread) it is related to the jerky movement as well.

    Your problem wont worsen you either have it or you dont. To put it plainly, if I stop moving by pressing ANYdirection but forward directly, I either flip 180 or slightly the other way, or step backwards. I can reproduce it 100% by pressing forward and right at once.

    What's really breaking the camels back here is I've designed a cool theif quest that you have to stealth for and the broken movements foil the quest much of the time because the movement is precise.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi,

    Is this when you control the avatar using the keyboard? (I only use the mouse to move.)

    Sorry to hear that it is critcial to you. However, I have found that I can make precise movements using the mouse after zooming in.

    Or, maybe I still have not grasped how serious this problem is because I do not appear to have it, and unless experienced cannot really comment. :(

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete