Feb 4, 2012

Slow out of the gates...

So this texturing thing is really the big stall in the project. Although I don't know how to store animation sequences yet for NWN2 either. But really, to even make still objects I need to understand the texturing results once you define the "wrapper" for 2d painting.

I was a little busy switching jobs, and now I'm done so I'm back at it. I decided to recreate a ridiculous little monster I saw in cracked magazine some time in the 80s. I did this only because I thought I could quickly make a model, and see how textures show up on the model based on how I set the "seams" of the texturing boundaries. I've spent literally 3 days adjusting seams on this crocodile so I figured I should learn how they work through a quicker, less laborious prototype.





With all smoothing, detail, polish aside (and a mouse cursor drawn mouth to boot) it's not pretty but it doesn't have to be. At least I can see that a texture can be done and I have a better idea of what I am doing now. So back to it I go.

PS Been play testing for The Wizard's Apprentice 2. It's a far throw ahead from the original, much broader in scope and ambition. I actually was dissapointed I had to stop for a while while we tackle a bug in the progress of the plot.

3 comments:

  1. Everyone could use a flying eyeball!
    It would likely make an interesting familiar. Can that be assigned the bat skeleton to get it to fly and flap the wings?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaughn I'm glad you showed up since I have no way to email you. Couple things:

    #1 Yes it could be assigned the bat skeleton, however if I were to use this for real I would create an actual mouth not just a hand painted on on. I do have it animated in 3d studio, I'm just figuring out how to export. But yes the bat speed skeleton would certainly make more sense and take less time.

    #2 Can you find the link to these crocodile pics Dunite put up? I can't find them anywhere and there are no such useful images on google, just regular croc pics from radically different angles that I can't use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Got your message.
    Here is a link to a original request for the alligator/crocodile
    http://social.bioware.com/forum/Neverwinter-Nights-2/NwN-2-Custom-Content/Model-Request-Alligator-5069523-1.html
    Dunniteowl's Kyle pictures
    http://s52.photobucket.com/albums/g31/dunniteowl/Modeling%20Gaming%20Guides/Crocodile%20Shots/#!cpZZ1QQtppZZ24

    This is completely on your time-frame. I am in no way close to releasing and there is a place holder in my building. So do it up right and like any good NWN2 project it is done when it is done.

    As for the flying eye, yes the hand painted mouth is not quite there, but it is a flying eye. If that ever comes to completion I think I would have to make it a familiar out of it just because.

    ReplyDelete