Jan 6, 2012

The early Shaughn gets the Croc

Well sometimes it pays to be one of my four readers. For reasons unknown, my fatso model is now a corrupt file and will have to be started from scratch. But since I have a request for a crocodile, I thought now that I have no project, why not try that first. I took a gamble and decided to apply my cube modelling technique to a cylinder, in the thought that it would better suit the initial shape. Modelling this way is basically manipulation from a rough shape; the closer that shape is the less adjustment you have to do later, so it made sense).

From a humble, shapeless beginning. . .


... I soon gained confidence that I made the right choice, and had the skill to manipulate the extra vertices on a 12 sided cylinder...


... I wasn't going to do the head at first, as obviously it will take more skill and need to be split into two halves (as I'm assuming Shaughn wants this crocodile to attack by biting as opposed to nose spearing the player). But I gained a little comfort with the concept of "cutting" polygon faces in half, and was able to make a distinct mouth extend from the flat cylinder end that was his neck:




So there you have it, using only shaping with no texture at all, it does actually somewhat resemble a quadruple-amputee crocodile. The real detail comes in the texturing, as that's where the bumpiness, texture and colour realism comes from. And to be honest, I think I will have less trouble animating than texturing as I've stated. Particularly since I have no 2d software knowledge at all. I think I'll try GIMP as it seems to be the way to go.

My Next update will certainly include some legs if nothing else.

Update: seems like either 3ds or my computer is borked because I lost my crocodile work in the same fashion. Colour me pissy. I redid it all.

3 comments:

  1. This looks good. It is unfortunate about the fatty, as he is definately a memerable part of BG. For textures I know duniteowl had a ton of alligator pictures of a dead alligator, Kyle, from the Zoo he worked at.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I am currently going through the process of learning gimp at a basic enough level to texture. When I'm done that I'll be able to attempt the importing of animations, and then we will know for sure if this thing can happen, as that seems to be what most modellers could not do except for what... Jonny Ree and Elysius? Lol good luck to me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi E.E.

    *Drags out a list of models required*

    Only kidding. ;)

    Any new model that can be added to NWN2 gets the thumbs up from me .... and long as it looks half decent. ;)

    Actually, I have an environment, called "The Magic Stream" that can make use of "less detailed" creatures, as abstract and surreal manifestations of monsters, so anything is possible. That said, this is another area I have currently put on hold due to time contraints that I may revisit at a future time.

    Keep up the good work.

    Lance.

    ReplyDelete