Nov 9, 2009

Early troubles

Turns out my campaign was quite horribly corrupted. Im working around it, trying to finish it completely, despite a persistent journal bug. At first I was just going to cut it short, but as it showed signs of cooperating, I've actually gone ahead and added not only the content originally planned in the final 2 side quests, but some bonus cut sceneage to make it a lot more story-based. Not just throw-ins to give some personality to the NPCs but some thought out stuff, complete with epic symbolism and foreshadowing.

I have to say cut scenes were not an early interest of mine, but it's almost as addicting as custom particles. Gives me a good reason to make some as well to show all the spectacular dream-scapes and powers being used. Regular conversations I prefer to do in NWN1 exclusively, but when doing something cinematic or from a dream or vision, that's when I let cut scenes out of the box.

So I was on a good role, but school work has picked up and at the same time I am finding toolset work more tedious again. I will just plow to the finish with the release version coming no later than december. Whatever is there at that time will be the finished game.

Here's an example of such a scene, where I did my first real ventures into bloom use. Really makes the magical white balls blurry and dreamlike.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usFree Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us



Click twice to see the full size images, rather than the 1/4 size one it links to. THANKS :)

I never even gave personalities to the companions until now. In the end my hope is the story, (though light on words when compared to works like Azzen's new "Live Forever" campaign), should be compelling and thought-provoking enough that the campaign would have seemed empty without it. I'm only one third done and it already feels that way to me.

7 comments:

  1. Bloom settings look solid. It's bright, but you can afford that for "dream" sequences and the like.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and bare in mind these are stills, the balls are moving about in game, and thus less solid and less over-exposed since they flicker.

    That said I was looking for an overpowering shimmer, a sign of a place where great things converge and futures collide. Other than that, I generally don't use bloom as I think it is one of only several filter's one could use, and not something for every scene.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like particularly the pink-hued one. very dreamy indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol, I love how you never ever spell my name correctly. No hard feelings.

    I tried fixing your errors but yeah... mind boggling. Keep trucking at it though, if you're making progress. I was rushing to get mine out because of school/Dragon Age... but I've got the Dragon Age toolset now, and let me tell you, you'll be wishing to go back to your easy NWN 2 modding. The DA:O toolset is like beating your face against a brick wall. I've spent around 4 days trying to make a friggin' tavern. Haven't even touched the single player campaign yet.

    Anyway, the screenshoots look good. And being light on words is what everyone likes. No one really wants to read long conversations ala. Live Forever. That's what books are for.

    Speaking of books, what school do you go to btw? And what major/year? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am in business management year two. My finished writing looks a lot better than my demented posts on the forum. I think you will find the game even now is MUCH different than your test version. It's an odd homogenizing of 2 year old stuff and brand new ideas, but not so much a shoehorn as added things much desired.

    I asked you a question on the forum email I guess you never got it, but I was asking, do you not need 3d studio to do make areas for DoA? I would figure that would cripple most modding plans. Incidentally I have never found the nwn2 toolset difficult, just a huge buggy piece of shit. ;)

    PS I finally voted on live forever, check it out, AZENN.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You don't need 3D studio, no. It's just a lot more of a pain in the ass to make things, but very powerful in its own right. To make interiors, for example, you have to piece everything together wall-by-wall, ceiling tile-by-ceiling tile. NWN 2 alienated a lot of people from mod building because of the added complexity. DA:O will do exactly the same thing, IMO.

    I never thought that the NWN 2 toolset was altogether complex either. Then again, compared to NWN 1 which was like legos, it was quite difficult. I managed to make an online server in NWN 1 back when I was like 12 years old.

    DA:O is rough though. Part of it is because of the user unfriendliness, but I can already see how powerful it is. So I'll keep trucking at it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Less competition. Btw I go to school at Conestoga in Ontario. I'm sure you've never heard of it unless you are Canadian as well.

    I might be able to chip in on some DoA work. I don't feel like doing my own module at any foreseeable future, again.

    ReplyDelete